Meatballs or “Frikadellen” as they are called in Germany are always great. They are easy to make and taste amazing.
In this original recipe with easy to follow step-by-step instructions, I’ll show you how to prepare the delicious German Meatballs or Frikadellen at home.
What ingredients do you need for Frikadellen?
Apart from minced meat, Frikadellen consist of very few fresh ingredients, which ensure that the meatballs are fluffy, light, and extremely delicious.
Mincemeat – While you could use any type of meat to prepare German meatballs, they are typically made from beef and Pork mice in equal parts
An egg – The egg is used to bind the meatballs and makes sure that they don’t fall apart easily. It is also possible to omit the egg.
Onion – A very finely chopped onion provides extra flavor. You can use the onion raw or sauté the onion in a little oil beforehand.
Bread roll or breadcrumbs – The bread roll is soaked in milk or water to soften it and then squeezed out. This makes the meatballs fluffier and also increases the volume of the meatballs. If you choose to use breadcrumbs, you should add some water to the meatballs. Then they will not be so firm.
Chopped parsley Mustard Salt Black pepper Marjoram (optional)
What do you season Frikadellen with?
Traditionally, meatballs are seasoned with salt, black pepper, and parsley.
But you can also spice up your meatballs and add all kinds of spices to the meatballs. Possible additions to the Frikadellen include:
- Paprika Powder Sweet
- Paprika powder rose hot
- Chili powder
- Cumin (use little, tastes very intense!)
How do you shape the Frikadellen?
Meatballs are traditionally shaped with the hands. Shaping the meatballs is much easier if you moisten your hands with water or a little oil. This way, the meatball mixture won’t stick to your fingers and you can make beautiful, smooth meatballs.
Can you store Frikadellen?
You can store Frikadellen in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days. Theoretically, you can also freeze and reheat Frikadellen. But I think they taste the best fresh.
By the way, the indicated preparation times are average values. It is completely normal if it goes a little faster or takes a bit longer, as the preparations are completed faster in one case than in the other and the cooking time can also vary slightly depending on the size of the meatballs.
Have a great time trying out this easy and delicious German recipe and Bon Appétit!
If you liked my basic meatball recipe, you might also like my simple recipe for Königsberger Klopse 🙂
PS: Don’t want to miss out on any of my recipes? Then follow me on Pinterest or Instagram ❣
Did you like my recipe?
If you liked my recipe, if you have questions or helpful tips regarding the recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate the recipe with stars
Did you make this recipe?
Then please tag me on Instagram @feelgoodchef and use the hashtag #feelgoodchef
This recipe first appeared on my German food blog instakoch.de.
If you’re interested in the German version, head over to https://instakoch.de/frikadellen-grundrezept/
German Meatballs - Frikadellen
- 1 lb Minced meat minced beef or mixed.
- 1 Bread roll Or breadcrumbs.
- 1 Onion finely diced.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 clove Garlic Optional.
- ½ Bunch parsley Finely chopped
- 1-2 tsp Salt Season to taste.
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Marjoram
- Oil For frying.
- Peel, halve and finely dice the onion.
- Finely chop the parsley.
- Optionally, sauté the diced onion briefly in a pan and let it cool down.
- Cut the bread roll into small pieces and soak in milk for a few minutes. Then squeeze out the milk with your hands.
- In a large bowl combine minced meat with the bread roll, the onions, the egg and the spices in a large bowl and mix well with your hands.
- Season to taste and leave to stand for at least 10 minutes. Due to the resting time, the meatballs do not bulge as much when they are frying.
- After the restintime knead the meatball mixture once again with your hands and form into 6 to 8 equally sized meatballs.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan and fry the meatballs for about 15 minutes.
- Turn occasionally.